Volunteers - What you need to know!
Thank you for choosing to volunteer with SCHC. Volunteers are essential to the work we do and we appreciate you, your time and talents - we could not do what we do without you! Your volunteer efforts are immeasurably valuable to the SCHC clients, community and organization.
All SCHC volunteers:
Volunteering to get more experience
In addition to making a meaningful contribution to the community, many people volunteer to gain valuable experience. Volunteering is an excellent opportunity to develop the skills and professional networks needed for advancing your career. It also provides wonderful personal training since it might expose you to confidential information, and this develops a chance to develop growth in the areas of trust and respect. As a volunteer you can explore different programs to prepare for paid work:
- Be sure to volunteer in an organization or program that matches your career goals. For example, if you are interested in being a seniors' personal care worker, volunteer in an organization or program serving seniors.
- While volunteering, be proactive and set up informal interviews with program staff about your career goals in order to seek their advice and insights.
- Gain a sense of accomplishment and flexibility in role assignment by demonstrating your reliability.
- If you are a newcomer, pay close attention to the “work culture” because it may differ from the culture of your country of origin.
- If a paid position becomes available at the organization you are volunteering with, do not hesitate to apply. Many organizations would be eager to hire a familiar applicant who has demonstrated dedication, enthusiasm and has good work ethics.