It was a group of dedicated community members who started the then West Hill Community Services in 1977, which is now Scarborough Centre for Healthy Communities (SCHC). Volunteers have played an integral part in shaping this organization and continue to do so. These special individuals are our volunteers who deliver meals, provide companionship to isolated seniors, assist during events and support in many administrative roles.
Our volunteers from diverse backgrounds bring not only their professional expertise but also rich life experiences, which are mutually beneficial. SCHC volunteers are
- Seniors eager to impart their expertise and knowledge
- Corporate leaders wanting to give back to the communities in which they operate
- Residents committed to helping their neighbours and improving the health of their community such as with the Scarborough Hospital
- Local groups with a passion for community-building and engagement
- Newcomer professionals and placement students seeking work experience
- High School students looking to complete their community service hours to graduate
Coordinator, Volunteer Services and Student Placements
The Volunteer Department is located at The Hub mid - Scarborough.
2660 Eglinton Ave. East
However, the volunteers can be placed at any of 11 SCHC locations.