CHINESE DUMPLINGS & SPRING ROLLS
CHINESE DUMPLINGS and SPRING ROLLS (Lumpia Shanghai
1. If using cabbage, slice the cabbage and squeeze the liquid from the cabbage: While it rests the cabbage will start to release liquid. When it's ready, grab handfuls of the cabbage and squeeze out the water.
2. Combine the meat filling ingredients: Work the mixture together with your hands until fully combined. Don’t overmix.
3. Place 1 teaspoon of filling on each dumpling wrapper
4. Dampen the edge of the wrapper with water: Dip your finger in the bowl of water and run it around the edge of the dumpling.
5. Fold the dumpling press firmly to seal the dumpling closed.
6. Cook or freeze the dumplings: You can cook the dumplings immediately, or freeze them on the baking sheet. Once frozen solid, gather them into a freezer container and keep frozen
1. PAN FRIED/POTSTICKERS
Line a steamer basket with leafy vegetable and steam over simmering water for about 6 minutes if fresh, 8 minutes if frozen.
4. DEEP FRIED
Basic meat filling:
· 1.5lbs ground meat (traditional is pork, but can use turkey, chicken, plant based meat alternative)
· 1/2 to 3/4 cup garlic chives finely chopped (sub with ½ cup green onions, cilantro or leeks)
· 2 tbs light soy sauce (substitute liquid salt seasoning like Maggi, Worcestershire, teriyaki etc.)
· ½ tsp sesame oil (or tahini, olive oil, peanut oil or canola oil)
· ¼ tsp white pepper (or 1/8 tsp black pepper)
· 1 clove garlic, finely minced
· ½ tsp grated ginger
Additional vegetables or for vegetarian option replace the meat with veggies and cook (stirfry) before wrapping
· 7-8 leaves of Nappa cabbage, (finely diced for potstickers, or shredded thinly for spring rolls)
· Shitake or button Mushrooms, minced (sliced thinly if for spring rolls)
· 1 carrot, shredded (for potstickers & spring rolls)
· Bamboo shoots minced (or sliced like matchsticks for spring rolls)
· Bean sprout (for vegetarian spring rolls only)
Wrapper Types & Use
Using ready-made dumpling wrappers (1lb, 50-60pcs)